If you get the units wrong, it’s easy enough to scale up or down by a multiple of 10 later. The important thing is to do everything the same way, so that all objects are correct in relation to each other.
3dsMax Battlefield 2 Scale Setup
Before continuing with this tutorial you should have installed the 3dsmax tools found with the Editor package "BF2_Tools_3dsmax_1.0e.exe". Bf2 uses a metric scale therefore we need to set up max so we can model/export your models to scale.
· Open up 3dsmax.
· Find the Customize tab from the top tool bar and browse down to Unit Setup.
This will open a dialog box labeled Unit Setup.
· Change the Display Unit Scale from Generic Units to Metric
· Now select the top upper most button labeled System Unit
· In this dialog box, change to as follows: 1 unit = 0.100 .
· From the drop down, change it to meters.
That's it. 3ds Max is now setup to model in Bf2 scale. No need to worry about the other values -- just leave them as is.